Butterfield Canyon Elementary School is located in the rapidly growing city of Herriman. Our doors were opened in July, 2006. The staff at Butterfield Canyon are committed to do whatever it takes to help our students be successful. It is our goal to see our youth become life-long learners who are contributing members of society. Our mission is to help our students LEAD…
L = Learn daily
E = Empower leadership
A = Achieve goal
D = Discover potential
- Butterfield Canyon has approximately 900 students enrolled in Kindergarten through 6th grade.
- The school has a clean-line design featuring flexible space classrooms, a centrally located media center, a spacious gym with a stage area, and up-to-date computer labs. Each classroom is equipped with audio enhancement, a document camera, Apple TV, and a digital projector system.
- Butterfield Canyon is on a traditional school calendar. School begins at 9:00 a.m. and ends at 3:35 p.m. Monday through Thursday and begins at 9:00 a.m. and ends at 1:55 p.m. on Fridays.
- The teacher/pupil ratio is on average 1:22 in Kindergarten-3rd grades and 1:26 in 4th-6th grades. Actual class sizes may vary year to year.
- Bus service is provided for students who live 1.5 miles or more from the school.
- A nutritious hot lunch is prepared and served daily.
- Butterfield Canyon Elementary staff includes over 30 certified teachers. This number includes specialists in Speech/Language, Psychology, Intervention, and Special Education. In addition, over 30 classified employees serve in various other positions in the school that provide students with the support services that promote learning and maximize student success.
- All certified staff hold current teaching certificates with several teachers having earned advanced degrees and educational endorsements beyond the regular teaching certificate.
- All staff members are formally evaluated on a regular basis for the purpose of improving performance. Teachers continually participate in professional development courses to improve instructional skills.
- Butterfield Canyon is a Professional Learning Community where teachers work collaboratively in teams to meet individual student learning needs by providing additional support, intervention, and enrichment. Teacher teams have a sense of collective responsibility to help all the students in their grade be successful.
- Instruction in each grade follows the Utah State Core Standards.
- Butterfield Canyon is a “7 Habits” school that teaches leadership principles to students. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People are embedded in classroom instruction.
- Technology training is an important aspect of the school curriculum. Our computer labs enable all students (K-6) to learn and practice keyboarding skills, word processing programs, and work with software in core content areas.
- Teachers provide direct literacy instruction in both whole group and skill-based group settings. Math is taught using a variety of methods while utilizing the Math Expressions textbook as a resource.
- Butterfield Canyon has a before-school choir/drama program that allows students in grades 4-6 to experience the joy of performing vocal music with a group and taking part in a theatrical performance.
- Students who master their grade-level math facts are celebrated during an induction into the Math Fact Ninja Club.
- We provide a literacy enrichment program called The School of Rock to challenge our accelerated readers.
- Students have the opportunity to sign up for before and after school enrichment programs taught by our own teachers for a few weeks during the school year. Classes include STEM, chess, folk dancing, poetry, math tutoring, cursive writing, math team, crafting, and an aerobics/running class. Class offerings vary from year-to-year.
- Students may also participate in school geography, science, and spelling bees.
- Parent volunteers coordinate America’s Battle of the Books where students in grades 3-6 read books, then come together in teams of five to answer comprehension questions in a school competition.
- Butterfield Canyon Elementary follows the Jordan District Dress Code that requires clean, neat, modest clothing. Students are expected to learn self-discipline and behave appropriately. If serious problems arise at school – the student, teacher, parents, school counselor, and administration work as a team to find the best solution for the student.
- An active PTA and School Community Council assist with school activities and regularly give input on important school issues.
- Students at Butterfield Canyon are taught responsible citizenship as teachers set reasonable limits, reinforce positive behavior, and employ programs to build student self-esteem.
- Butterfield Canyon students participate in a fitness testing program in 4th-6th grades where students can earn the Buff and Fit Bobcat Awards.
- Students are given opportunities to develop leadership skills in their classrooms and in school-wide leadership roles.
- School visitors and volunteers are welcome at Butterfield Canyon. Through the Learning Links program, volunteers engage in supporting the educational process through their work within the classroom and support at home. It is our hope to have every family, whose students attend Butterfield Canyon, give of their time and service in the quest to educate the youth of today and the leaders of tomorrow.
School Grade 2014: B 2015: A 2016: B
The Student Assessment of Growth and Excellence (SAGE) is a collection of computer-adaptive assessments given to Utah students beginning in grade 3. SAGE assessments provide questions that assess students’ ability to apply higher-order thinking skills and better emulate real tasks students may encounter in education and in life.
SAGE assessments were developed through a joint effort on the part of Utah teachers, parents, test development experts, and the Utah State Office of Education. SAGE assessments provide information to assist in determining students’ educational progress towards being ready for college and careers upon completion of secondary school.
- 2013-14 SAGE Results for Butterfield Canyon Elementary
- 2014-15 SAGE Results for Butterfield Canyon Elementary
- 2015-16 SAGE Results for Butterfield Canyon Elementary
PACE is an acronym given to Utah’s 2013 ten-year education and economic development plan. The plan includes four main components: Prepare young learners, Access for all students, Complete certificates and degrees, and Economic success (PACE). PACE Accountability Reports provide information regarding a school’s progress towards achieving components of the Governor’s education and economic development plan.
- 2015-16 PACE Report Card for Butterfield Canyon Elementary Did you know that our School Community Council makes decisions and implements programs geared to help the school achieve their academic goals? There are funds allocated from the Utah State Trust Lands (approximately $80,000/yr) to assist in our efforts. The SCC council determines how those funds are used. Visit their page for more detailed information regarding this year’s plan.
Begin at the west county line and Butterfield Canyon Rd.; east along Butterfield Canyon Rd. (south side) to U-111 (13100 S.); east along 13100 S. (south side) to approx. 8000 W. (Butterfield Creek); east along the Butterfield Creek (south side) to approx. 7400 W.; south along approx. 7400 W (west side) to 13100 S.; east along 13100 S. (south side) to approx. 7200 W.; south along approx. 7200 W. (west side) to approx. 13600 S.; east along approx. 13600 S. (south side) to approx. 6960 W.; south along approx. 6960 W. (west side) to approx. 13620 S.; east along approx. 13620 S. (south side) to approx. 6925 W.; north along 6925 W. (east side) to approx. 13690 S.; east along approx. 13690 S. (south side) to approx. 6800 W.; north along approx. 6800 W. (east side) to approx. 13450 S.; east along approx. 13450 S. (south side) to approx. 6650 W.; south along approx. 6650 W. (west side) to approx. 13700 S.; east along 13700 S. (south side) to approx. 6600 W.; south along 6600 W. (west side) to approx. 13725 S.; east along approx. 13725 S. to approx. 6500 W.; south along approx. 6500 W. (west side) to approx. 13800 S.; east along approx. 13800 S. to Rose Canyon Rd. (6400 W.); south along Rose Canyon Rd. (west side) to Butterfield Park Wy. (14200 S.); west along Butterfield Park Wy. (north side) to approx. 6450 W.; south along approx. 6450 W. (west side) to the south county line; west along the south county line (north side) to the west county line; north along the west county line (east side) to Butterfield Canyon Rd.